Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Brennan's 1st Ice Skating Experience

We came home from NY a day earlier than initially planned, which worked out to be a blessing.  It gave Brian two days at home before returning to work, which we really needed.  It also freed up a little time for me to take Brennan ice skating, something he's been asking to do since last winter!  He and I headed over to the skating rink at the Reston town Center.  I rented Brennan skates with a double blade and we hit the ice!  The first two laps were tough.  He was clinging to the wall and couldn't keep his balance.  Every time he fell, which was often, I had to physically pull him up with all my strength. I didn't think we were going to stay for long!
But, on the third lap, he started following my instructions to put his weight into his thighs, keep his knees bent and his ankles straight.  He soon moved off the wall and started shuffling over the ice.  When he fell, he figured out how to get up on his own, without grabbing me or the wall.
I wouldn't say he ever got to gliding, but he gained a lot of confidence in his shuffling and asked me to get off the ice and just watch him from the side.
He came over to the wall where I was standing and asked me to take his picture!
After skating, we had lunch at Panera, which was also a first for Brennan.  He enjoyed a hot chocolate, which he call choco-latte.  We snapped a picture by the tree in the town center before heading home.  Brennan can't wait to go skating again!

No comments: