Monday, February 23, 2009

Sick Days

Brennan woke up with a fever yesterday, so I canceled lunch plans with Alissa (sorry A!) and we just tried to keep him cool and comfortable. I called the doctor in the afternoon since we were seeing his temperature hit 103, but the on-call doc didn't seem overly worried about the temp, which was fluctuating. Later in the day, it hit 103.6 and he was very uncomfortable. We decided to go to a pediatric urgent care center. The doc there thought it was the flu (he had his flu shot booster on Friday), but the culture tested negative. He concluded that it was a virus and that Brennan's throat was sore. He suggested giving him Motrin to ease the throat pain and to ride the fever out. Brennan's temp is lower today, but still there. He is catching up on missed sleep from yesterday though. I took a sick day to care for the little guy and while he is napping, I thought I'd catch up on some blogging, since you haven't heard much from me this month.

My parents were supposed to visit over president's day weekend, but we ended up going to NY instead. We had a nice family dinner with my grandparents, aunt and uncle on Valentine's day. My brother was heading out west to ski that week, but I got a chance to visit with him on Friday. We got to spend time with my in-laws too, and even visited Aunt Kerry at Police Headquarters on Sunday. Overall, the weekend turned out well and I think everyone was glad to see the little guy.

Brennan is now eating two solid food meals per day and I'm trying to figure out how to work a third in. He doesn't seem interested in eating solids in the morning, but I'm hoping he'll turn the corner. By our 9 month pediatrician visit, he is supposed to be eating three meals per day. Along with the move to solids, I've been trying to introduce the cup. I have been looking for an alternative to plastic sippy cups. For Valentine's day, Nana and Pop Pop (or whatever my dad is going to be called) bought Brennan two Klean Kanteen sippy cups, which are stainless steel cups that use Advent's sippy cup spout. At this point, he likes to bite on the sippy part of the cup, but hasn't quite figured out that this is for drinking. We'll keep working on it.

No comments: