Sunday, September 15, 2013

Apple Picking

I had turned down many invitation to go apple picking in prior years.  I just couldn't wrap my head around what someone would do with all of those apples.  But, with the kids at an age to enjoy it, we decided to give it a shot.  The weather was perfect to spend a day outside, so we headed out to Hartland Orchard.  The views were beautiful and the price for the apples was a steal.  We filled our large bag quite quickly.  The boys really enjoyed picking apples.  We just did our best to make sure Tyler was putting apples from trees, not the ground, in our bag.
 
What a beautiful day!  The kids were really having fun.
Tyler and Brian walking back towards the car.
Before leaving the orchard, I set up the camera for a quick family picture.  I wish I had realized the glare had caught my sunglasses.  Still a nice enough photo to share.  We headed just a few miles west for lunch at the Apple House in Linden, VA.  I had read a review of this place and it sounded like a hole in the wall, but I didn't realize how packed it would be on a Saturday.  We lucked out and didn't have to wait to order, but by the time we left, there was a line nearly the length of the place.
Since we had made the hour drive to the orchards, we decided to also check out Stribling Orchard before heading home.  This place gave out apple grabbers that allowed you to reach apples higher in the tree.  The boys loved it and often directed Brian to pick apples at the top of the trees.  After filling two bags, we decided to call it a day!  We were all beat and all the boys (yes, Brian too) dozed as I drove them home.  The speed limit on route 66 that far west was 70 MPH, so at lease we could zoom east without having to worry about getting pulled over.  (I admit that we don't travel west that often and I was pretty surprised to see 70 MPH on a speed limit sign!)
This was our haul!  These apples aren't quite the right kind for making pies, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them, but we'll do our best to eat up before they go bad.  Applesauce anyone?