Monday, March 4, 2013

Adjusting to the new norm

While Tyler could usually use to go down for a nap around 10:30 in the morning, I've generally been pushing him until closer to 1 PM, after lunch and after preschool pick-up.  Having him up all morning has been quite a change for me, since that means I've had to push my Kids Ministry work until the afternoon when Brennan is home (and Tyler naps) or after dinner when Brian is home.  Life feels a little crazier than usual these days, but I've been trying to make the most of the one on one time with Tyler and we've been enjoying our mornings.  We've gone on playdates, to the gym, the library and the mall (Tyler is actually doing a great job holding my hand and walking next to me!)  It's been pretty chilly, but we had one day of warmer weather and got to go out for a walk.  Tyler refused to ride in the little car, but pushed it a quarter of the way around the neighborhood.
 Before long, he realized he could move much faster without the car and just started taking off, running up and down some neighbor's driveway.  I think he liked the speed he could get coming down this one!
Later that afternoon, we were back out and the boys had fun playing with Brennan's new remote control car.  (Brennan controlled it and Tyler chased it!)
The boys have been out cruising in the truck, but Tyler has also been riding the Power Wheels Quad.  He doesn't steer at all, so I have to adjust his trajectory, but he hits the power and will cruise straight into anything in his path!
Tyler LOVES animals.  Casey is one of the regular dogs in the neighborhood and she is extremely friendly.  Tyler was so excited to pet her.  He kept saying, "woo-woo" for woof and kissed the dog multiple times.
I was thrilled that Tyler finally starting eating tacos this week!  This is Brennan's favorite menu item, so we make them just about every week and it's always a dicey night for dinner for Tyler.  But, finally, he went for them!
The other exciting news is that Tyler has been binky-free for almost two weeks!!  I had been working on reducing binky use over the last month, but the final step was taking it away from nap and bedtime.  Two Wednesdays ago, I decided to see what would happen if I just put him down for a nap without it.  To my delight, there was no crying.  He didn't go to sleep as quickly, but he did so without any real fussing!  I hesitantly decided to never turn back!  The downside is that he wakes up about an hour earlier in the morning, and as a result, he's been a little more tired/cranky in the morning, but I know we'll get through all this.  Brighter days are ahead!  Now, if I could just get Brennan to fully give up his thumb sucking!

1 comment:

Sara said...

YUM! Tacos! :) Good job, T!