Thursday, July 28, 2011
Firsts and Other Activities Around the House
This week, we've had some firsts. It started on Monday, when I went to the grocery store with two kids by myself. Friends from church are still bringing us meals, so we didn't have to do a full food shopping this week, so I thought it would be a good test run. All went well and Tyler slept through the entire shopping trip. The photo below captures the first time Brennan gave Tyler a bottle. I'm doing a little pumping so that Tyler will be willing to drink from bottles from time to time.
Tyler's cord fell off last week, but his belly button still needed to heal a little bit. Now that is fully healed, he got his first real bath this week.
My mom taught Brennan how to read books on CD - the type that chime when it's time to turn the page. Since learning how these books work, Brennan has been obsessed with reading this way. Here he is enjoying the Hungry Caterpillar read by Eric Carle himself.
Brennan claims that he and Nana had picnics in the kitchen. I am yet to verify this with my mom, but we've been indulging his desire to picnic on the floor a little bit. At least he's eating.
The weather has been so hot and humid, it's been too much to even go out on the deck. However, yesterday, there was finally a break in the heat and we enjoyed spending hours out on the deck. Tyler sort of played in his little gym and had tummy time before dozing off. Brennan had fun playing with play-dough before moving on to painting.
Brian and I have been struggling through nights with Tyler. He hasn't been sleeping that well and is very fussy unless he's in bed with us. A friend suggested I review the Happiest Baby On The Block techniques and another friend gave me her swing. After skimming back through the Happiest Baby On The Block, I splurged on some new, lightweight, gigantic swaddle blankets and we gave the calming technique a run last night. We let Tyler sleep in the swing all night, and he slept from 9 PM - 1 AM, woke up to eat, then went back to sleep until 5 AM. At 5, he ate and went back to sleep in the swing and is still sleeping. I plan to get him up at 8 this morning to eat and start his day. We got the most sleep we've had since having him, so that was great! I need to make sure we are stocked up on batteries for the swing, but we are hoping this wasn't beginners luck... tonight will be test run #2! Thanks Ashley and Joanie for the advice and swing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Thanks for the update! I can definitely take the blame for the picnic. I think Thursday or Friday (the day before you came home) Brennan was not eating his dinner and he looked as if he was about to cry.. he missed Mommy. So I quickly diverted the situation and setup a picnic! He cheered up and with a little "airplane spoon" action, he ate his food right up! Haha! And he was so cute saying "Nana, we are having a picnic".
Happiest Baby is great! I'm glad it afforded you some sleep. Everything is easier when you've had some rest! For us, we found that both kids slept better when they weren't in our room. It's interesting how each baby is so different. :) I'm glad things are going well for you guys!
So glad the swing is helping you guys! Dylan absolutely loved it and would probably still be sleeping in it every night if wasn't too big! He's finally doing well in his crib, though, so once Tyler is able to sleep longer periods before waking for a feeding, you may want to try to acclimate him to his crib for portions of the night. We waited too long w/ Dylan and it's been a real uphill battle to get him to sleep in there.
Post a Comment