Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Spring Break

Brennan was off from school last week for spring break.  Although we weren't going away, I wanted to make the week a little special and do a few fun things that were outside of our usual activities.  On Tuesday, we had a playdate with a former coworker of mine who has a son that is a year older than Brennan.  We met at the Rust Library in Leesburg for Rythm and Rhyme Storytime and then had a picnic lunch at the playground.  The boys had a great time playing together.  On Wednesday, we went to Musical Storytime at the Cascades Library and even Tyler joined in on the fun.
On Thursday, we headed over to the Claude Moore Recreation Center to enjoy some indoor pool fun.  I wasn't sure how it was going to go with me and two kids at the pool, but it worked out well.  We started in the shallow pool area, where Brennan could slide and splash around.  Then, we borrowed a lifejacket from the lifeguard station and headed into the "deep" part of the pool (4ft 6 inches.)  We ventured through the lazy river section and swam around in open water, but Brennan's favorite part was "diving" from a step into my arm.  With the lifejacket, I helped steady him, but at least I didn't have to worry about him going under.  This was Tyler's first experience in a pool and he was definitely a little nervous.  But, we managed to stay there for about 2.5 hours, including a break for lunch, so it was definitely a worthy trip.  And, it gives me confidence for handling the pool with the boys this summer.

We had another playdate on Friday with friends in Alexandria and attended Good Friday Dinner at our church in the evening.  Brian had to work, so I took the kids by myself and the boys behaved really well for me (thank God!)  We were dogsitting for Baxter all week while his owners were in Florida, which was lots of fun.  We took him on long daily walks with Brennan primarily holding the leash.  Brennan loves the dog and has been crying since we returned him.  He wanted Baxter to stay forever. 
Baxter was really good with Tyler as well. I started them out on opposite sides of the gate, but after a day, I decided to see how Baxter would be.  He seemed to really like Tyler and was gentle with him.  When Tyler crawled, they were at eye level and both seemed curious about the other.

No comments: