Monday, June 16, 2008

38 Weeks & 1 Centimeter Dilated


Well, we were off to the doctor today for my weekly check-up and a sonogram to see what position the baby was in. The weather started to storm a bit on the way to the office, and just after signing in for the appointment, the office lost power. The exam rooms all have windows, so the doctor was still seeing patients, but of course, we weren't going to be able to have a sonogram if the power didn't come back on.
When the doctor came in, he explained that if the baby were breech, that we would have to choose between scheduling a c-section or an external version. I asked about having a third option of just letting nature take its course... essentially proceed without any intervention, let things progress on their own, in hopes that the baby would turn in time, and if he didn't when I went into labor, then we'd have a Cesarean. But, the doctor said that this wouldn't be an option, that if the baby were breech today, then I would have to decide on scheduling a c-section at 39 weeks (this coming weekend) or a version. In the absence of the sonogram, we proceeded with an internal exam and it turns out that I am one centimeter dilated. This was good news because the doctor was actually able to feel the baby and he felt a head, confirming that the baby is vertex (head down)! So, I didn't have to make any decisions today and nature can take its course. I'll just go back for my normal weekly appointment next week, and I won't have another sonogram. Hopefully the baby remains head down. He hasn't dropped yet, so he's not locked in, but it looks like things are heading in the right direction.
Oh, and for anyone wondering, don't get too excited about the 1 cm dilation... women can be 1 cm dilated for weeks before going into labor. We'll see if I've made any more progress at my next appointment.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! That's my boy! GOd has heard our prayers! Hopefully, he will remain in that position. You look gorgeous Meg! I can't wait to see you! Hi Brian!

Regina said...

Eeek!! I can't believe this is really happening! He's going to be here so soon!!! :)

Life with Pog & FLeC said...

Wow. That's exciting! I'm so glad that Baby P seems to be head down. You look beautiful!

Shannan & Wes said...

Wow - he's almost here! As if Brian doesn't have more important things to do, I still hope he will get on here and blog for you once Baby P arrives so I can know all the important details like: How are Mama & Baby doing? Time of birth? Weight? Length? NAME? You're in my prayers, gal.
xoxo