Friday, June 27, 2008

Updates from the Doctor

We went to the doctor yesterday and I was glad to learn that I'm a little more than 2cm dilated now and 50% effaced. However, the doctor is predicting that it could be another week before I go into labor. I'm hoping to prove him wrong and plan to have a very active weekend to encourage the baby to come sooner. On Monday, I will go in for a non-stress test, which is basically performed by monitoring the baby's heartbeat for 30 minutes. It's supposed to measure the baby's heartbeat relative to fetal movement (they want to see that the heartbeat rises when the baby moves). Normally this test is performed at 41 weeks, but can be done anytime the baby is passed his due date. I've tried to look online a little bit to find out more about why it is performed and what the results mean, but I've found little more than the explanation of 'its used to find out how the baby is holding up during his extended stay in the womb.' There is no risk to the baby or myself in taking the test, so I am not questioning the need for it.

As far as an induction date goes, the doctor wanted to book it for July 7 (also Brian's birthday), but it turns out that there are so many women due around this time that the hospital is booked for scheduled inductions through the 10th, so they are going to book me for the 11th and then try to move it up as open slots become available. Obviously, not everyone who schedules an induction makes it to the date. My doctor doesn't think that I would even make the to the 7th, let alone the 11th, but still, I don't like seeing a date so far past my due date. During this coming Monday's appointment, we'll see how the test results look and I am going to ask if we should consider moving the induction date up to late next week instead... maybe the 3rd. We'll see... hopefully I'll just go into labor naturally by then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Meg, Hi Brian - I am glad to see that everything is going well... I don't think you will go far beyond the 7th even thought babies come when they want... We'll keep you in our prayers... Love, Kylian and Mai

Life with Pog & FLeC said...

Labor labor labor labor labor, go into labor, come on out Baby Boy!! I hope you go in to labor soon -- perhaps the stress test will somehow let your baby know it's time to come out and meet everyone. Best wishes!!